RE: noapic strikes back

From: daniel@websolut.net
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 16:04:37 EST

Hi there!

I too have that problem on Intel ISP2150 servers (L440GX+ motherboard is the
problem, of course) and I've seen even quite amazing things - there are boot
disks that work (you don't see the message complaining about shared IRQ 11,
whatever) but the kernel that is put on disk from the installation rpm is not
coherent with the one made for the disk (apic'ed or not apic'ed), so I actually
could install from the first redhat 7.1 xfs iso (xfs 1.0) and get that problem
only upon the first boot from disk - systems hangs forever.

With the problem of fitting a kernel image (with xfs and softraid gets too big)
onto a disk, I could only solve this, compiling my own and putting it on a
network tftp server and booting with PXE (intel servers -> intel NIC -> Fancy
Network Boot); I suppose emulating a 2.88 disk and making a bootable CD would
also do (if you have a CD-ROM).

Cheers,

Daniel Fonseca

--
E-Mail: daniel@websolut.net
Date: 18-Jul-2001
Time: 21:25:56

This message was sent by XFMail ---------------------------------- - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/