Re: bitops.h ifdef __KERNEL__ cleanup.

From: Petr Vandrovec (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 06:01:47 EST

On 18 Jul 01 at 23:54, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Not all architectures put clear_bit et al in asm/bitops.h in a form which
> is usable from userspace. Yet because it happens to work on a PeeCee,
> people do it anyway.

Please do not do this. At least ncpfs checks for usability of these
ops from its configure script, and if they are not available/usable,
it reverts to pthread mutex based implementation, which is slower
dozen of times. Same applies for atomic_* functions.

I think that you should complain to userspace authors who do not
check for bitops existence and not force other to distrbute 8+ versions
of bitops.h with their application, together with infrastructure for
selecting correct version...

Just my 0.02c.
                                            Petr Vandrovec
                                            vandrove@vc.cvut.cz