2.4.6: chattr / lsattr does not work on directories anymore!

From: Marc-Jano Knopp (mjk@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 06:42:52 EST

Since kernel 2.4.6, the commands 'lsattr' and 'chattr' do not work
anymore when applied to directories:

As root:

# mkdir x
# chattr +i x
chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on x
# lsattr -d x
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on x
#

The error message also appears when I try to get or set any of the
other ext2 flags. I need the ext2 immutable flag to protect some
of the directories on my system against accidental deletion (be it
my fault or a buggy program).

Kernels < 2.2.6 and 2.2.18 work fine.

Best regards,

  Marc-Jano