Re: bitops.h ifdef __KERNEL__ cleanup.

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 01:41:43 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
> Followup to: <11472.995579612@redhat.com>
> By author: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > It has been stated many times that kernel headers should not be used in
> > apps. Renaming or moving them should not be necessary - and people would
> > probably only start to use them again anyway. We'd see autoconf checks to
> > find whether it's linux/private.h or xunil/private.h :)
> >
> > In the absence of any expectation that userspace developers will ever obey
> > the simple and oft-repeated rule that you don't use kernel headers from
> > userspace, the #ifdef __KERNEL__ approach would seem to be the best on
> > offer.

> Note that the rule is at least in part theoretical; even glibc include
> kernel headers or -derivatives.

Derivatives are fine and IMHO irrelevant to the issue of __KERNEL__:
you can always do something like gcc's fixincludes.

uClibc and dietlibc do not include any kernel headers at all. And at
least one glibc developer spoke up in a previous thread and agreed that
it is not necessary to include kernel headers in glibc.

As important as glibc is, it's breaking a rule, which is a bug, that can
be fixed.

> I think the idea with <asm/bitops.h> is that they are protected by
> #ifdef __KERNEL__ if they are kernel-only; however, if they work in
> user space then there is no #ifdef and autoconf can detect their
> presence.

Any amount of sharing between userspace and kernel -adds- constraints to
kernel code, and leads to namespace pollution on both ends by careless
(or busy!) developers.

Let's remove restrictions and constraints from kernel code, not add to
them...

--
Jeff Garzik      | "I wouldn't be so judgemental
Building 1024    |  if you weren't such a sick freak."