Re: yenta_socket hangs sager laptop in kernel 2.4.6

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 08:35:51 EST

Hello!

> You know. 2.2.19 uses my cardbus controller on IRQ 11 without a
> problem. Could it be something in the way the yenta_socket driver sets up
> the controller? I was thinking of dumping the read/write's from the i82365
> from 2.2.19, and comparing it to the yenta_socket driver. Do you think
> this is worthwhile?

Did you make any progress on this?

I have similar problem. Probably, we could cooperate to find a way to solve
this.

Seems, you are right, yenta.c corrupts something in hardware
and the problem is not related to irqs. Observations are:

* No irqs are generated at all after lockup. Printk added at do_IRQ, no activity.
  (Moreover, here yenta irq is not shared with vga, but shared with firewire
   port though.) Nothing. I did not find any software activity at all.
* No activity at pcmcia is required to lockup. Loading yenta_socket is enough.
* Unloading yenta before lockup happened does not help, i.e. something
  is corrupted at time of yenta_init().
* Lockup _inevitably_ happens when yenta_init was executed once
  and I make any operation from set:
  1. any call to APM bios, except for cpu idle.
  2. Pressing any hotkey, including change of LCD brightness
     (Sic! The last event is _absolutely_ invisible to software,
      so that yenta_init does something terrible with hardware).

linux-2.2 with pcmcia does work, so that puzzle really can be solved
comparing operations made by both implementations. Did you make this?

Alexey Kuznetsov