Re: Why Plan 9 C compilers don't have asm("")

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 14:08:12 EST

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Richard Henderson wrote:

> Hmm. Yes, that could work. We'd still be changing the ABI, since
> the original source "bsr foo" would really mean "bsr foo+skip ldgp".
> But perhaps one that wouldn't matter for all practical purposes.

Ahh.. Well, that would be more of a linker relocation ABI change, not
really a run-time ABI change. And as it needs a new relocation type
anyway, because of the overflow case (I assume the current .rel20
complains loudly when it overflows, right?), this should be ok.

And the code to jump over ldgp obviously exists already if there's a
"-relax" linker option.

                Linus