Re: Common hash table implementation

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 09:36:06 EST

On Sunday 22 July 2001 12:18, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 July 2001 02:24, Brian J. Watson wrote:
> > > Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > > Richard Guenther sent the following link to his own common
> > > hashing code, which makes nice use of pseudo-templates:
> > >
> > > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/glame/g
> > >lame /src/include/hash.h?rev=1.5&content-type=text/plain
> > >
> > > A few things I would consider changing are:
> > >
> > > - ditching the pprev pointer
> >
> > Yes, you want to use the generic list macros there.
>
> You get one-pointer size hash table entries and generic deletion from
> it.

Having thought about it a little more, I don't see why the symmetric
double link (i.e., like the page hash, not like the buffer hash)
couldn't be used with single-pointer tables, using similar tests for
NULL in insertion and deletion.

> > > - encapsulating the next pointer inside a struct
> > > hash_head_##FOOBAR
> >
> > I think the generic list macros give you that for free.
>
> Umm, if you use such, you get lists.h style type-casting stuff which
> doesnt have a nice interface as

You could wrap the final product in inlines with internal typecasts.
As you pointed out, C just doesn't have templates.

> > Naturally. And trying to reduce the size of the macros. It's not
> > that easy to get stuff that has dozens of lines ending with "\"
> > into the kernel. You might have better luck just generalizing a
> > few short sets of common operations used in hashes, and showing
> > examples of how you'd use them to rewrite some of the existing hash
> > code. Obviously, the new, improved approach has to be no less
> > efficient than the current way of doing things.
>
> All those \s are to encapsulate the whole thing into the
> template-style macro - not that I like this, but I cannot see an
> alternative.

An obvious alternative is to leave things the way they are. I've
noticed that this is a stance Linus typically adopts for improvements
that aren't clearly better in every way ;-)

--
Daniel