Re: Athlon/MSI mobo combo broken?

From: Alan Cox (laughing@shared-source.org)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 12:32:04 EST

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 06:02:01PM +0200, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I have now had two MSI mainboards and two Athlons with 1330 MHz, and
> none of them works as advertised. When I compile an Athlon kernel (I

VIA chipset..

> When I compile the same kernel for Pentium Pro, it works. How can this
> be?

Theory right now: Because the Athlon kernel does streaming memory copies at
full bus performance. Not all VIA chipset boards seem to cope.

I'd be interested to know if 2.4.6-ac5 Athlon optimised works on your board.
The reason for this is that it contains the official VIA fixes for their IDE
corruption problem rather than our own.