Re: Yet another linux filesytem: with version control

From: Jerome de Vivie (jerome.de-vivie@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:05:59 EST

Rik van Riel a écrit :

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Jerome de Vivie wrote:
> > Rik van Riel a écrit :

> > > Agreed. I mean, how can you cleanly group changesets and
> > > versions with a filesystem level "transparent" SCM ?
> >
> > With label !
> >
> > In my initial post, i have explain that labels are used to
> > identify individual files AND are also uses to select for
> > each files of a set, one version (= select a configuration).
> > It works !
>
> Hmmmm, so it's not completely transparent. Good.

You only set a global variable to select on which configuration
you want to work. You can't do it simplier Rik: everything else
is transparent: read, write, ... !

> Now if you want to make this kernel-accessible, why
> not make a userland NFS daemon which uses something
> like bitkeeper or PRCS as its backend ?
>
> The system would then look like this:
>
> _____ _______ _____ _____
> | | | | | | | |
> | SCM |--| UNFSD |--| NET |--| NFS |
> |_____| |_______| |_____| |_____|

Your architecture is too complex for me.

> And there, you have a transparent SCM filesystem
> that works over the network ... without ever having
> to modify the kernel or implement SCM.

I can't do it outside the kernel. There is one important
feature i have mention: I would like to mix file from the
"base" filesystem and files which are managed under
configuration. Why is this feature really important ?
Because in the product, there are two kind of files:
-source (leaf on the dependency tree)
-and generated files.
As you know in SCM, generated files are not identify by version
number, but by a configuration (a set with one version for each
dependencies). So, there is no need to manage all objects of a
partition under version control.

j.

--
Jerome de Vivie 	jerome . de - vivie @ wanadoo . fr