source code & licensing of LinuxDA

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:25:07 EST

Hi,

I saw on http://www.linuxda.com/download/index.html
that you are shipping binary images of Linux, but
without the source code. This is in violation of
the GPL, a matter which won't be taken lightly by
the hundreds of copyright holders involved.

Also http://www.linuxda.com/licensing/index.html
and http://www.linuxda.com/legal.html seem to have
licensing terms which are incompatible with the
GPL, meaning that you either have to change the
license or stop shipping Linux ...

In particular the paragraphs "SINGLE COPY LICENSE",
"OWNERSHIP OF MATERIALS" and "TERMINATION OF THIS
LICENSE" are a gross violation of the GPL.

You acquired Linux from me and hundreds of other
copyright holders under the conditions of the
General Public License (GPL).

Since I guess you'll want us to comply with any
licensing you want to impose on the parts of the
technology which are yours, I guess it's only fair
that we expect you to abide by the GPL.

Please open up your source code and change your
licensing to something compatible with the GPL.

thank you,

Rik

--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

http://www.surriel.com/ http://www.conectiva.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/