Re: [RFC] Optimization for use-once pages

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 07:57:37 EST

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 21:35, Rob Landley wrote:
> I don't suppose we could get some variant of your initial post into
> /Documentation/vm/HowItActuallyWorks.txt? (I take it the biggest
> "detail" you glossed over was the seperation of memory into zones?)

I glossed over a lot of big details:

  - zones
  - type of pages: anonymous, swap cache, file, high, buffer, ramdisk
  - interaction with page cache
  - various flavors of swap-in and swap-out paths
  - shared memory and the swap cache
  - locking strategy
  - aging strategy
  - scanning policy
  - deadlock and livelock avoidance measures
  - unloaded vs loaded behaviour
  - effect of load changes
  - out of memory handling
  - clustering (or lack of it)
  - IO throttling

Each of these is a topic all by itself. You'll find all of them
discussed extensively here on lkml.

--
Daniel