Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Kip Macy (kmacy@netapp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:25:23 EST

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > Don't use RedHat with ReiserFS, they screw things up so many ways.....
> > > For instance, they compile it with the wrong options set, their boot scripts are wrong, they just
> > > shovel software onto the CD.
> >
> > Sorry Hans you can rant all you like but you know you are wrong on most
> > of that. RH did weeks of stress testing on multiple systems up to 8Gb 8 way
> > and didn't ship until we stopped seeing corruption problems with the mm/fs
> > code.

Sorry Alan, but even though I am sure Redhat did lots of stress testing,
Redhat 7.1 was not a particularly solid release. I got oopses in the
eepro100 driver even though lots of other people use it, and the netapp
simulator which works just fine on 2.2.16 does not work on it. When I ran
strace on the simulator while it was zeroing some files it turned out that
sys_write was failing with ENOMEM (on a machine with 1GB of RAM that was
not doing anything else).