Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@zip.com.au)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 12:28:05 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:

> Andrew, can you do this such that there is no disruption of our
> disk format, and make a mount option
> out of it, and probably we should use this patch....

I'll defer to Chris :)

There's no disruption to disk format - it just simulates
the user typing `sync' at the right time. I think the
concept is sound, and I'm sure Chris can find a more efficient
way...

> After you make a mount option out of it, grev will benchmark
> it for us using the usual suite of benchmarks.

Ordered-data is a funny thing. Under heavy loads it tends
to make a significant throughput difference - on ext3 it
almost halves throughput wrt writeback mode.

But this by no means indicates that writes are half as slow;
what happens is that metadata-intensive workloads fill the
journal up quickly, so the `sync' happens more frequently.
Under normal workloads, or less metadata-intense workloads
the difference is very small.

During testing of that little patch I noted that the
disk went crunch every thirty seconds or so, which is good.
Presumably the reiserfs journal is larger, or more space-efficient.