Longstanding sudden reboots with 2.4 smp kernels

From: Kent Hunt (kenthunt@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 14:50:31 EST

Hi,

        I have a problem that continues to persist since the
2.4 test kernels until the latest 2.4.7.
The machine suddently reboots once in a while when I
click some action button in the gnomeicu program. I am
ruling out hardware problems since the box is rock
solid except in the above mentioned situation. It is
frustrating since no messages are left in the kernel
logs when these reboots happen.
        The box is an ASUS P2BD main board.
        Video card Matrox G400.

        I have run X from 3.3.6 to 4.0.3 and all have this
problem. Can anyone tell me if a userland software
like gnomeicu can trigger a reboot in the kernel? I
think it has to do either with the code the X handles
pointer events or some networking problems since it is
an instant messenger software. But it is intriging
that this only happens with gnomeicu. Anyone with good
suggestions to solve this problem?

        Kent

Please CC and I would be happy to provide any further details.