Re: Linx Kernel Source tree and metrics

From: Paul G. Allen (pgallen@randomlogic.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 15:40:58 EST

> Daniel Phillips writes:

Nit 1: I'd prefer the following format for the data dictionary:

-m (Local Object)[xref]
- [wavelan_cs.c, 564]
-
+m [xref] [wavelan_cs.c, 564] (Local Object)

I.e., three times as many entries on the screen and with the
constant-width part aligned.

Nit 2: You can drop the "Report" from the name of every section, we
know it's a report.

I'm continuing to explore this wonderful resource. Do you intend to
GPL the source?

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Hm. Interesting. But I note it has the devfsd source code in there as
> well. That's definately not part of the kernel!
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....
> Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
> Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca
> -

Answer to Daniel:

The program I used is a purchased product. So, no, it won't be GPL. I have no control over the contents of the reports other than addin/removing source
files/trees that are parsed and hand editing the generated HTML. Since there's over 1GB of HTML, the editing part is definetely out. :D

Answer to Richard:

I simply parsed the entire /usr/src/linux-2.4.2 tree (including the modules) and applicable gcc header files. I may have missed a few, I may have gotten a few
too many. Those that are more "in the know" than I can feed me info so I can correct the files/trees that are parsed.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer