Re: serial console and kernel 2.4

From: christophe barbé (christophe.barbe@lineo.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 10:37:02 EST

"it works for me" is better that no answer for me. So Thank you for your
answer.
Reto give me a solution : because of a flag all incomming char are ignored.
So now I need to find why this flag is ok for you and not for me.

Christophe

Le lun, 30 jui 2001 17:20:55, James Bottomley a écrit :
> > I recently upgraded a linux box to the kernel 2.4.4 (from 2.2.18).
> > This box has no display and use the serial console. Since the upgrade
> > I can see the boot output on the remote console but I can't use the
> > keyboard. Each time I press a key, an interrupt is seen by the
> > no-display machine but no char appears in the console. Today I've
> > upgraded an another box to 2.4.7 with a similar setup and I've the
> > same problem.
>
> > Is there something that I'm missing ? (something new with the kernel
> > 2.4 that is required for a serial console that was not required with
> > the 2.2 ?)
>
> I hate to send an email which says "it works for me", but it does (all
> the way
> up to 2.4.7).
>
> However, one of the things to remember about the serial console is that
> it is
> primarily designed for *output*. If you see the boot messages, then it's
>
> doing its job correctly. Things like kdb and sysrq can accept input from
> the
> serial console, but usually only if something else (like getty) has
> opened it
> first.
>
> My setup (on RedHat 7.1) looks like this
>
> In /etc/lilo.conf
>
> # make lilo output to serial console
> serial=0,9600n8
>
> # for each kernel add this line
> append="console=ttyS0,9600n8 console=tty0"
>
> Note, the above append causes /dev/console to be /dev/tty0 (the virtual
> console). If you want to see all the boot messages you need /dev/ttyS0
> to be
> /dev/console and you should reverse the two console statements in this
> line.
>
> In /etc/inittab:
>
> S:0123456:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear ttyS0
>
> With this setup I can activate sysrq and kdb from the serial console.
>
> Note also that different distributions have different ways of handling
> the
> system console; you might also have to disable the special distribution
> handling on a non-RedHat system.
>
> James Bottomley
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in

Christophe Barbé
Software Engineer - christophe.barbe@lineo.fr
Lineo France - Lineo High Availability Group
42-46, rue Médéric - 92110 Clichy - France
phone (33).1.41.40.02.12 - fax (33).1.41.40.02.01
http://www.lineo.com