Re: Leak in network memory?

From: William M. Shubert (wms@igoweb.org)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 20:40:29 EST

Thanks for your response. I think that we have different problems though
- my application is not growing at all, so it doesn't seem to be a glibc
problem. Instead the kernel is refusing my "write()" calls with EAGAIN
even though I know that I have written only a few kbytes and my output
buffer size is set to 64K. Because this took 60+ days to start
happening, I'm guessing that the kernel network code is either leaking
memory or else is miscounting its memory consumed over time...what I
really need to know is what I can do to confirm or refute this guess. It
is also possible of course that there is no leak but my kernel has the
"network takes too much memory" threshold set too low (and I was just
lucky until now and didn't see the problem). I have looked at
"/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mem", and it claims that it would take 48640
pages (=200MB) before the TCP stack starts feeling memory pressure. I
know that my TCP stack is not using this much memory, because I have
only 256MB in the system and 150MB is under "active" in /proc/meminfo
(I'm assuming this total does not include TCP data?)...so how can I
check how much the TCP stack thinks it is currently using, and why it is
refusing my "write()" calls?

--

Bill Shubert (wms@igoweb.org) <mailto:wms@igoweb.org> http://www.igoweb.org/~wms/ <http://igoweb.org/%7Ewms/>