Re: OT: Virii on vger.kernel.org lists

From: Craig Milo Rogers (rogers@ISI.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 17:33:11 EST

> > Better than that, simply strip all non-text MIME attachments, or
> > bounce the messages containing them. End of story.
>
>Two problems with that:
>
> 1. Some virii are text attachments. Your fix doesn't deal wioth them.

        I'm not aware of the TEXT/PLAIN viruses (ignoring jokes, er,
social comments, about the GPL). Could you point me to a sample?

> 2. The maintainer of the XXX driver just uploaded a large patch that
> fixes a major bug in their driver to the mailing list, and zip'd
> it up to reduce its size. You just bounced it...

        I recall from past discussions that there's considerable
sentiment on l-k that zip'd patches are undesirable. If the patch is
inconveniently large, it can be split into several messages, or placed
on an FTP server. Inconvenient for the developer, maybe, but better
for the list as a whole.

        Separately, I think we've spent enough time with the off-topic
topic. Perhaps we can move the discussion offline?

                                        Craig Milo Rogers