Re: ReiserFS / 2.4.6 / Data Corruption

From: Dan Hollis (goemon@anime.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 17:32:39 EST

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:
> I'd be very happy with full data journalling even with 50% performance
> penalty... There are applications that require extreme data integrity all
> times no matter what happens.

How about an idea I proposed a while back, 'integrity loopback'?

A loopback device which writes a CRC with each block and checks the CRC
when read back.

So if you have a flaky DMA controller, bad cables, etc you will know
instantly. It would at least help catch the 'silent corruption' cases.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]