hdparm seg faults (promise PCI ide controller)

From: Steve Stavropoulos (steve@math.upatras.gr)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 10:53:15 EST

I couldn't make the second channel on my Promise PCI ide controller
(pdc20262, the udma66 model) to use DMA. When I did that
(hdparm -d1 /dev/hdg) I would get some messages in /var/log/messages
saying that the kernel waits the drive to enable dma (or something like
that) and the system would become unresponsive for some periods of time.
The situation would revert to normal only after a hdparm -d0 /dev/hdg.
The output of `cat /proc/ide/pdc202xx` was (and still is):
                                PDC20262 Chipset.