Any known ext2 FS problems in 2.4.7?

From: David Ford (david@blue-labs.org)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 12:40:53 EST

I'm starting to go through a cycle every 2-3 days where I have to bring
one particular machine down to init l1, kill any processes and remount
RO, then run e2fsck on the e2fs partition. Over that period of time,
disk space is eaten without accouting. 'du' shows about 13 gigs used
when I sum up all the directories. Roughly 4.5 gigs is missing. During
e2fsck, there are many many pages of deleted inodes with zero dtime, ref
count fixups, and free inode count fixups. When I say many, I mean that
this pIII 667 scrolls for about four minutes...

There is nothing special about this partition, it doesn't do it while
running 2.4.5-ac15, but I can't use that kernel either because it OOPSes
as I reported. That OOPS was fixed for 2.4.7, but this disk space issue
is rather frustrating. Fortunately all my other systems are reiserfs
and work fine.

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on / type ext2
(rw,usrquota=/usr/local/admin/system-info/quota-home)

I haven't mucked with any /proc settings other than "16384"
>/proc/sys/fs/file-max. It's also worthy to note that this machine
also likes to break and spontaneously reboot about once every day. No
klog, no console, no nothing, just bewm. Again 2.4.5 didn't do this.

There is nothing unusual running on this machine, it's very similar to
several other machines that stay running with much higher loads just fine.

-d