How does "alias ethX drivername" in modules.conf work?

From: Mark Atwood (mra@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 16:29:58 EST

I'm trying to figure out how "alias ethX" works in /etc/modules.conf

Is it some "magic" in depmod / modprobe? And how is the network
interface identifier then passed into the module when it loads?

A nice whitepaper or doc or a few pointers or handholding would be
apprecated.

--
Mark Atwood   | I'm wearing black only until I find something darker.
mra@pobox.com | http://www.pobox.com/~mra