Re: [CFT] initramfs patch (2.4.8-pre3)

From: Ken Moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 15:39:38 EST

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:
> >

> > > New version on ftp.math.psu.edu/pub/viro, namespaces-a-S8-pre3 and
> > > initramfs-a-S8-pre3 (the latter is against 3.4.8-pre3 + namespaces).
> > >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Please, help with testing. It's supposed to be a drop-in replacement -
> > > apply patches, build and boot. If it boots - fine, if it doesn't - it
> > > will panic before it could do any harm.
>
> > Patches applied cleanly, but it doesn't build here (AMD K6, gcc3)
> >
> > In file included from init/init.c:16:
> > init/libc.h:7: warning: `exit' was declared `extern' and later `static'
> > init/init.c:33: parse error before "mount_nfs_root"
>
> /me looks at the line in question. In shame. Sorry - I'll put a fix for
> that typo (rediffed against -pre4, but that should apply to -pre3 as well)
> on anonftp in a minute. In the meanwhile, s/nt/int/ in the line 33
> (init/init.c). Sorry - builds during the last week were all with
> CONFIG_ROOT_NFS defined.

Builds nicely now. If I'd known only one of the messages mattered, I'd
have looked more closely at the code.

Small problem, though

request_module[ramfs]: Root fs not mounted
Kernel panic. Can't create rootfs

Obviously I've not been paying attention. I ran "make oldconfig" and
didn't see any new options that were needed, so I didn't consider altering
my current config settings. Which one is it I need, please ?

Ken

--
   Never drink more than two pangalacticgargleblasters !
Home page : http://www.kenmoffat.uklinux.net