RE: 3c509: broken(verified)

From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 17:38:04 EST

Nicholas Knight [:tegeran@home.com] writes:
> On Monday 06 August 2001 08:54 am, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> > > i was just using a 3c509 in my friend's old 486 and it was working
> > > fine with 2.4.7. Just modprobed it and set up the ips and it was
> > > able to ping and be pinged.
> >
> [snip]
> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I was
> unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509 driver,
> and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of this sort
> (such as NE2000 clones) by using a DOS boot diskette and the DOS
> utilities provided by the manufacturer.

Either that or they head over to Donald Becker's site and
and get the configuration/diagnostic utilities that run under unix.
        http://www.scyld.com/page/support/network/

I've only had one board that was supported by the drivers that
needed to be "DOS util'd" first. Most everything else that I have
work right out of the box, or after tweaking with his utilities.