Re: 3c509: broken(verified)

From: Dieter Nützel (Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 20:00:43 EST

Am Dienstag, 7. August 2001 01:11 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Dieter.
>
> >> You mention the problem is being unable to change the media, I
> >> was unaware this was even possible with the current 3c509
> >> driver, and most people do it on 3c509's and other PNP cards of
> >> this sort (such as NE2000 clones) by using a DOS boot diskette
> >> and the DOS utilities provided by the manufacturer.
> >
> > That's what I did. I've set it to "auto mode" and it works with
> > RJ45 cable. But I can't verify if "full duplex" worked right.
>
> What transfer speed do you get doing an FTP transfer across the link?

Don't know. I have to plug a laptop or something on it to test. Perhaps Dad's
PC (but the later is still connected via switched 100 Mbits ;-)

> 10base is theoretically capable of one meg per second,

1.25 MByte/sec (max)

> and experience
> indicates that a 10baseT link normally shows just under 500k per
> second flat out, presumably due to the half duplex nature of the
> 10baseT protocol. I'd expect 10base2 half duplex to be similar, and
> 10base2 full duplex to be somewhat faster.

I thought it should read 10baseT (with RJ45 cable) can reach 1.25 MByte/sec
full duplex (switched)?

> > So I changed it under Win to "10baseT" for which the 3Com
> > utilities say "full duplex" enabled.
>
> One slight problem - 10baseT uses CoAxial cable, not RJ45 - and, as
> far as I'm aware, 10baseT is strictly half duplex whereas 10base2
> (which uses RJ45 twisted pair cable) is capable of either half or full
> duplex.

See above.

Thanks,
        Dieter

PS Before we go full OT I switch to private mode.