Linux on FIVA MPC-206E, APM and other issues

From: Joseph N. Hall (joseph@5sigma.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 14:34:08 EST

(Not on list, please CC)

I am a happy new owner of a Casio FIVA MPC-206E (teensy 2.1 lb subnotebook)
with RH 7.1 and 2.4.7 installed. I'm trying to get a variety of things
working, some of which may or may not be related to needed kernel tweaks.
I suspect some of these have been address already by Japanese users, but
alas I cannot read Japanese.

* APM broken

  $ cat /proc/apm
  1.14 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

* 24 bit X support broken (an XFree86 issue, I suppose, will check there
shortly); there is something funny about 24 bit mode on this machine
anyway even in WIndowsMe mode

* sleep/hibernate either hangs the machine (must hit h/w reset switch
afaik) or does nothing useful (nothing at all, or seemingly tries to
sleep and immediately revives)

* (soft) power switch and cover latch not detected

* no access to "P1 P2 P3" buttons that live to the right side of the LCD
screen

* Also I've been having no luck getting a DWL-650 (D-Link 802.11 card)
recognized and working ... was close with the wvlan_cs(? one of those)
driver but I'm operating on the assumption that the orinoco_cs driver is
more current, and can't get it recognized at all

I'm not expecting to get everything going right away but I'd appreciate
any pointers etc. I have relatively little experience mucking about in
the kernel but I'll be happy to try patches etc. and post my results.

  -joseph