Re: How does "alias ethX drivername" in modules.conf work?

From: Tim Jansen (tim@tjansen.de)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 17:33:45 EST

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 23:46, Mark Atwood wrote:
> Userspace init scripts point the finger at kernel, saying "there is no
> good and no well documented mapping method". Kernel points its finger
> at userspace, saying "this is the way we do it" and "we cant guarantee
> a perfect 100% mapping solution, so we're not even going to try for
> 90%" and "futz with your drivers and modules.conf and init scripts
> till you get something that works".

I'm working on one a possible solution, the Device Registry
(www.tjansen.de/devreg). It solves this problem by assigning device ids to
physical devices. This allows you to identify a physical device, even after
you changed tge port.

Device ids can be used in two ways:
1. user space apps can use the device id to find the device's node in /dev
2. a user-space daemon can use the device ids to create stable symlinks to
the /dev nodes (this is not possible to ethernet ids though)

bye...