Re: Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 1 is available.

From: john slee (indigoid@higherplane.net)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 02:38:00 EST

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:58:01PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> Supports separate source and object directories. You can compile
> multiple versions of the kernel from a single source tree, using a
> separate object directory and config for each version. You can even
> compile different architectures simultaneously from the same source
> tree.

ace, less cp -al!

> Standard support for shipping generated files. kbuild 2.4 has had
> continual problems with files that are both generated and shipped.

a subtle reference to aic7xxx? :-/

> Multiple targets can be specified on the same make command. You
> cannot mix clean or mrproper with other targets but everything else
> can be put on one command.
> make -j oldconfig installable && sudo make -j install
> works beautifully.

'make dep bzImage modules modules_install' has worked for me for a long
long time... am i just lucky?

> Install targets such as bzImage, zImage, where to install System.map
> and .config, the install path prefix, which commands to run after
> install etc. are all CONFIG_ options. Copy .config from one kernel
> to another, run make install and it all happens, hands free.

i think you've fixed my only gripes with existing kbuild.
much appreciated. :-)

j.

--
"Bobby, jiggle Grandpa's rat so it looks alive, please" -- gary larson