Re: [kbuild-devel] Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 1 is available.

From: Giacomo Catenazzi (cate@math.ethz.ch)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 06:33:38 EST

Keith Owens wrote:

> Supports a common source and object directory. The default mode is
> the same as kbuild 2.4, to use the same tree for both source and
> object. Even in this mode, kbuild 2.5 treats almost all the source
> files as read only, no more time stamp fiddling with .h files. The
> exceptions are files that are generated at run time and are
> incorrectly being shipped as part of the kernel tar ball. I will be
> sending patches to remove these files from the 2.4 tar ball.
> Obviously you can only compile one kernel at a time in this mode.

Warning:
If generating some support files requires some non common tools,
it is the right thing to ship the two files (source and generated).
(also GNU std requires it (IIRC compiling a package
should not require m4, autoconfig, automake, and some tex preprocessing
for info files).

I agree with GNU, thus compiling kernel should not require
some non-common tools (python, gawk are 'common' tools for me).

BTW we cannot ship the generated file without the source files,
because of GPL.

        giacomo