Re: APM poweroff under Linux 2.4.7 / 2.4.2 RH 7.1

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 02:34:51 EST

Hi Stephen.

>> I have an Athlon on an ASUS A7V133.

>> This machine powers off perfectly using a stock RedHat 7.1
>> kernel (2.4.2). However, it refuses to power off with 2.4.7,
>> with all APM options set correctly (including power off in real
>> mode).

>> Now for the funny part: copying the 2.4.2 apm.c to the 2.4.7 and
>> recompiling yielded a working poweroff. So *something* has been
>> broken between 2.4.2 and 2.4.7 with APM poweroff. :-)

> So, is this a pristine 2.4.2? Or is it a RH patched one? I have
> just looked at the differences in arch/i386/kernel/apm.c between
> 2.4.2 and 2.4.7. The only differences are in comments and to
> allow one more kernel command line option. i.e. there is nothing
> that should make APM behave differently.

> Could you send me a diff between the two versions of apm.c, please?

I have to admit that your comments made me wonder exactly what patches
RedHat have applied to the kernel and, as I have the 7.1 CD's to hand,
I put the 7.1 source CD in my drive and installed the relevant source
RPM therefrom. There are 227 patches listed therein, which is way too
many IMHO, and some of them clearly need to be considered for the
generic kernel.

Of the many patches theein, the enclosed TWO are the only ones that
touch apm.c so they are the patches you may need to consider. I'd
certainly be interested in your comments thereon.

Best wishes from Riley.