Re: 386 boot problems with 2.4.7 and 2.4.7-ac9

From: Maciej Zenczykowski (maze@druid.if.uj.edu.pl)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 05:31:31 EST

> The system is a 386DX with an Award 3.15c BIOS. The distribution
> is smalllinux i think, but I've modified it a lot.

99% sure that your problem is binaries for 486 and up, had this problem
installing RedHat 7.1 on a 486 with no CDROM drive - did the installation
on a Pentium 3, then it would not boot, compiled a new kernel for 486,
installed that on the P 3, now it booted on the 486 but would not run
init. The binaries were for 686 and refused to run...

MaZe.

PS. There should be a choich when installing RedHat in advanced mode what
processor you want to install for - often enough the computer you are
installing on is not quite the same as the one it will be running on.