Re: Swapping for diskless nodes

From: Dirk W. Steinberg (dws@dirksteinberg.de)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 08:12:00 EST

I'd like to second that example where you have weak diskless nodes and
a big server with a lot of memory. The important point here is that the
remote paging does not need to really write to the remote disk, especially
not synchronously. The page could eventually be migrated to the remote
disk asynchronously, or maybe not at all if there is no memory pressure
at the remote system.

In such a scenario I would disagree with Alan that network paging is
high latency as compared to disk access. I have a fully switched 100 Mpbs
full-duplex ethernet network, and sending a page across the net into
the memory of a fast server could have much less latency that writing
that page out to a local old, slow IDE disk. Clusters could even have
special high-bandwidth, low latency networks that could be used for
remote paging.

In a perfect world, all nodes in a cluster would be able to dynamically
share a pool of "cluster swap" space, so any locally available swap that
is not used could be utilized by other nodes in the cluster.

/ Dirk