Re: How does "alias ethX drivername" in modules.conf work?

From: Colonel (klink@clouddancer.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 15:05:29 EST

In clouddancer.list.kernel, you wrote:

>Hi Mark.

> >> What KERNEL problems then? I don't see any yet.
>
> > I smell the stench of finger pointing. It's a pity that it
> > stinks jsut as bad in the open source world as it is I am
> > "privileged" when closed source shops, or (even worse)
> > telco/network folks start playing "blameball".
>
>I'm trying not to point any fingers anywhere, but I have to admit that
>I'm finding it VERY difficult in this case. The basic problem that I
>have is that the "way it's done" that I referred to in my posts so far
>is the way that RedHat, Caldera, Debian, Mandrake, SUSE and Eridani
>Linux all do it by default (I can't comment on SlackWare as I've never
>been able to get it to install myself and don't know anybody who runs
>it).

Takes about 5 minutes to setup a Slackware install and about 3 minutes
after floppy boot to install it. Init scripts are not SysV
(wonderful!), nor do they contain some of the Redhat silliness ( ">
/etc/mtab" is stupid, dies everytime something eariler in the kernel
gets upset). But the init scripts do not handle multiple interfaces
out of the box either.

My answer has always been a combination of built-in interfaces (for
the default routes), modules, and either all unique cards or all the
same. It's custom and works fine until the hardware is changed... A
general solution would be appreciated.