Re: 2.4.4: thread dumping core

From: Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 01:17:08 EST

On 9 Aug 2001, at 16:08, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I wonder whether the kernel does the right thing if a thread causes a
> > segmentation violation: Currently it seems the other LWPs just
> > continue. However in practice this means that the application does not
>
> This is a feature in most cases
>
> > I suggest to terminate all LWPs if one receives a fatal signal.
>
> So write some signal handlers.

Actually I'm using a wrapper library that is supposed to do that stuff
for me (libmilter from sendmail-8.12.0.Beta16).

> In all cases the other threads will continue for some time, so you gain
> nothing by pretending they dont.

Imagine you aquire a lock in one thread then that thread gets a
SIGSEGV. There are a lot of threads around, possibly consuming a lot of
CPU without getting any (a lot of) work done.

Maybe the real problem is a simple a a binary incompatibility between
libpthread form SuSE 7.1 and SuSE 7.2 (which would be a very bad case).
As for any real bug, the application works most of the time.

Thanks for the statement.

Ulrich