Re: VM nuisance

From: safemode (safemode@speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 23:41:12 EST

On Saturday 11 August 2001 00:17, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2001, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > > I haven't got the faintest idea how to come up with an OOM
> > > killer which does the right thing for everybody.
> >
> > Basically because there is no such thing?
>
> Actually the killer itself isn't the problem.
>
> It's deciding when to let it kick in.

I was under the presumption from what David and others have said that the OOM
sometimes works the way it was meant to and kills the offending program, or
it put the box into this super sluggish state for a very long time regardless
if it was early or late. If it only happens when it's late then what was
David talking about?