Re: Kernel lockups on dual-Athlon board -- help wanted

From: Charles Cazabon (linux-kernel@discworld.dyndns.org)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 12:57:59 EST

Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> John Heil <kerndev@sc-software.com>:
> > You might try a heat sink & fan on the north bridge chip.
> > Also your cpu fans ought to be of the 7+K RPM variety.
>
> Interesting. We're going to put Silverados on the CPUs as soon as we
> can get them -- if you don't know what those are, they're a super-well-
> designed cooler that can chill a chip by 24 degrees centigrade.

Are you sure of that spec? 24 degrees isn't a whole lot for a CPU
cooler. An Athlon without a fan can reach 70 centigrade before it fries
a few seconds later, and many of the coolers in use with them can bring
them down to high-20s. 24 degrees isn't enough.

ALso, I doubt it's memory -- you'd see segfaults or oopses. Bad or
overheated CPU, unstable or underpowered power supply, or faulty
mainboard is more likely for your symptoms.

Charles