Re: Performance 2.4.8 is worse than 2.4.x<8

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 19:21:05 EST

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Word of warning: there are some loads on which 2.4.7 will simply lock
> up. If you don't want to take all the new code, at least take the
> changes to fs/buffer.c and refill_buffer() or whatever.

I'll do my best to merge some of the obviously correct
pieces of VM code from -linus to -ac.

> That said, me and Marcelo are still working on making sure it's good
> under _all_ loads..

I wonder how much you'd be willing to give up in the
common case in order to prevent the system from falling
over under strange loads. Hypothetically speaking, that
is, I don't really have anything in mind yet ;)

cheers,

Rik

--
IA64: a worthy successor to i860.