Re: ext2 not NULLing deleted files?

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 12:25:25 EST

On Aug 17, 2001 18:32 +0200, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> Special care, as far as I understand it, must be taken when allocating
> fs data blocks. The following sequence must be followed:
>
> 1. reserve them
> 2. clear them
> 3. mark them as allocated.
>
> if 2 is too expensive, maybe it's sufficient to mark them as dirty
> and zero them in memory. But what happens if the system crashes, with
> the metadata to the disk (block allocated), but the data block not
> yet filled/zeroed ?

Ext2 and ext3 both do this already (with caveats). Since ext2 doesn't
impose write ordering constraints, there is not a hard guarantee that
the data block makes it to disk before the metadata is updated. If
you run ext3 in data=ordered or data=journal mode, then you do have
such a guarantee.

If you run in data=writeback mode, you basically have the same
situation as ext2 (data may be written before or after the metadata).
This is the same as the _current_ reiserfs code, but there are
apparently patches available which allow data=ordered mode also.

Cheers, Andreas