Re: Kernel Startup Delay

From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ignacio@openservices.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 12:02:57 EST

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Mark Cuss wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am setting up a server with 4 SCSI hard disks, two of which I will jumper
> to have a delayed spin up as to not bake the power supply. These two drives
> will contain a striping RAID. I am concerned that the kernel will load off
> of the other drives and attempt to start this RAID before the disks have
> even spun up - is there a way to have the kernel delay its startup for a
> certain number of seconds while all the drives spin up?
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.
>
> Mark

I thought that this was a function of the SCSI BIOS? I know that with the
Adaptec AHA-x940xx and AIC-78x0 you can tell the card/chip to spin up the
drives after individually-configurable delays, and then continue booting the
system once all the drives have spun up. Does your card/chip have a similar
feature?

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>