esssolo1 driver strange behaviuor

From: Ottavio Campana (bott@iol.it)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 12:52:46 EST

Hi

I just compiled linux 2.4.9 on my laptop. It has got a solo-1 based
sound card. I've tried to compile the kernel with the static support of
the card and, for it is a laptop and it hasn't got any gameport, I
didn't selected any joystick support.

The kernel cannot compile, I've got a linking error in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/soundcore.o because it cannot find the
functions gameport_register_port and gameport_unregister_port . If I
compile the driver as a module it is compiled succesfully and it works.

I've looked at /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/esssolo1.c and commented out
the two lines (2378 and 2423) that call the 2 functions for registering
and unregistering the gameport and the driver compiles statically and
works.

I know this is just a little hack, but I want to bring note to you of
this problem that I have found even with earlier 2.4 kernels (I've tryed
2.4.5 , 2.4.6 and 2.4.8).

I hope this email could be useful otherwise please excuse me.

Bye

PS: I don't have got the time for following the mailing list so can you
please cc any reply to bott@iol.it? Thank you.

--
Non c'è più forza nella normalità, c'è solo monotonia.