Re: FYI PS/2 Mouse problems -- userland issue

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 15:29:45 EST

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:07:54AM -0700, Stephen Satchell wrote:
> This MAY be a kernel issue depending on where I locate the mouse
> initialization code. If it is in the kernel, then there will need to be a
> patch to allow the mouse to be re-initialized into the mode everyone
> expects.

The kernel (2.2.15--2.2.17, 2.4.x--2.4.8) had code to reinitialize a plain
PS2 mouse upon a reconnect event.
It caused too many problems on mouses that are not plain PS/2, but eg.
synps2 (Synaptics touchpad). Those are not happy being reinitialized ...

The code has been disabled in 2.2.18/2.4.9 therefore. Use psaux-reconnect
boot param to get the code back.

But normally your mouse driver (gpm or X11) has to do the reinitialization
anyways, because it knows about the specific reinitialization sequence a
mouse needs.
The kernel can't handle it, unless you put the whole collection of drivers
there.

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development