Re: With Daniel Phillips Patch (was: aic7xxx with 2.4.9 on 7899P)

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 19:58:12 EST

On August 22, 2001 12:44 am, Sven Heinicke wrote:
> Great, with 2.4.8-ac8 I get no memory problems. Can you tell me what
> file(s) where modified to fix this to I can look for the fixes in
> future vanilla kernels?
>
> Thanks! Now to work on the drive speed problem, it's faster with your
> fix but still slower at writing then my IDE drive on another systems.

It's a highmem scanning problem, these were supposed to be fixed in a series
of changes back in 2.4.8-pre, but they're not completely gone yet. I've cc'd
a few people who've shown interest in this ugly^H^H^H^H particular corner of
the kernel, but now I'm shutting down for the night. Guys, can you please
take a look at this one? It's time to put the highmem allocation problem
definitively to rest. Most likely, this problem occurs in -ac as well, just
with less frequency.

--
Daniel