Is there any interest in Dynamic API

From: Richard J Moore (richardj_moore@uk.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 12:44:27 EST

I was wondering whether the kernel community had any interest in seeing a
dynamic api capability in the kernel. What I have in mind the ability for a
kernel module to request a system call entry be added by supplying a call
name to a create_dynamic_api service. This service would assign a system
call number by looking for an unused slot (not from the beginning of the
syscall table but from a defined location so as to avoid reserved calls).
It would create a /proc/dynapi/api_name - the content of this file would
contain the call number.

It seems like a harmless enough idea. And I sort of like the idea of using
a system call rather than turning a kernel module into a device driver just
for the sake of a user communication mechanism. I envisage this being of
use to projects where they need a user-kernel interface but not a generic
one.

Comments please.

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (ATS-PIC).
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK