Re: Will 2.6 require Python for any configuration ? (CML2)

From: Tom Rini (trini@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 10:37:28 EST

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:59:37PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Tom> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:18:02AM +0400, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> >> but imagine the X arch hacker does not like python, and
> >> nevertheless needs to port it on arch X. still fun?
>
> Tom> Well I know python is endian-clean. I'd suspect it's even
> Tom> 32/64bit clean. So it's not a matter of 'port' but compile. And
> Tom> Linus has done things which have made lots of kernel hackers
> Tom> scratch their head for a while. (Jump out of this fire and into
> Tom> the min/max macros in 2.4.9 fire to see what I mean).
>
> Again, please try and do real porting work before you make such silly
> statements. Perl is 32/64 little/big-endian clean ... and still it's
> the absolutely worst app to bring up (even X tends to be easier).

perl is (or was last time I tried it) a PITA because it doesn't have
a real config script. In my experiance (and I do have a lot here)
apps which use autoconf/et al suck less at porting, as long as you have
autoconf/libtool/et al happy. Then it usually comes down to poorly
written code.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/