Re: Could NFS daemons be started via inetd?

From: VDA (VDA@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 09:13:57 EST

Hello Jesse,

>> I am setting up NFS on my Linux box.
>> When I start server daemons from init scripts or by hand,
>> everything is working fine.
>>
>> I tried to arrange these daemons to be run by inetd
>> but after I issue an NFS mount command inetd starts spawning
>> tons on rpc.mountd daemons. Log is filled with:
>> Does anybody tried this? If you do, I am very interested in your
>> inetd.conf and/or NFS part of startup script. Mine is:

> Simple answer - no.
> The reason it can't is in two parts:
> 1. these daemons create their own socket rather than recieving one
> from inetd.

Please enlighten me: do daemons need to be writted with some support
code specific for inetd in order to be compatible with it?

> 2. The daemons must connect to rpcbind or portmap. Usually this daemon
> is not running at the time inetd is started.

I have rpc.portmap started just before inetd in my init script.
BTW, how portmapper

> These daemons must run all the time or performance will be REALLY bad. Each
> connection may request ~ 8K bytes of data.

For now, my machine is under very light load (around 0.0) so this is
not a problem.
But I experiment a lot with different Linux toys
(NFS,Samba,TFTP,BOOTP/DHCP,PostgreSQL,MySQL). I'd like to configure it
so that under light load daemons die out, leaving bare minimum
(ideally, inetd only)

I presume daemons spawned by inetd are supposed to be designed so they
lurk around for some time in case some more requests are coming for them
and die after a timeout? Can they be made to spawn additional daemons when
load increases? This behavior would be nice - no need to guess how
many nfsd daemons to spawn for NFS, httpd's for HTTP etc.

Want to know why I'm asking all this?
Go to http://port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua/vda/

--
Best regards,