Re: suggestions for new kernel hacking-HOWTO

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 13:09:35 EST

On Aug 23, 2001 22:29 +0100, Andrew Ebling wrote:
> - How do I... ?
> - Print messages to kernel logs
> - create a new module
> - Add a system call
> - write ioctls
> - Add a /proc entry
> - Write a driver for a new device
> - Add an option to the kernel configuation

Be sure to add notes about why NOT to add new system calls, ioctls, /proc
entries, etc. It seems that the popular way to communicate to the kernel
these days is to be able to read/write data to the kernel device driver
via opening a device, or exporting a pseudo filesystem with information.

> I'm interested in hearing from seasoned kernel hackers (on what
> should/shouldn't go in this HOWTO) and newbies (what is particularly
> puzzling or not clear when setting out), hence the cross posting of this
> message.

Check out kernelnewbies.org as well, no point in re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger