Re: Writing oops-messages to floppy or disk

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 13:06:35 EST

On Aug 22, 2001 16:43 +0200, Erik Tews wrote:
> So I would like to know if there is a solution to tell the kernel to
> write the current screen (or the oops-message) to floppy (bypassing the
> filesystem, just raw write, reading it back with dd if=/dev/fd0, of=-)

There is a patch that does this (for 2.2, and 2.4 I think) called kmsgdump.
It allows you to dump oops messages to a floppy or to a printer. It also
has a tool to make a special dump floppy which just lets the boot "pass
through" the floppy and boot from the next BIOS device. This allows you
to leave the dump floppy in the drive all the time, in case of an oops,
but also allows the system to continue booting afterwards.

I don't know where the current kmsgdump patches are, but Google should
find them.

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas Dilger