Re: How to disable blanking of the screen in the kernel ?

From: Robert Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 16:14:13 EST

On Mon, 2001-08-27 at 16:50, Patrick Allaire wrote:
> I am on a 2.2.19 kernel. I am doing an embedded box and I want to disable
> the console blanking ... how can I do that ? I dont have apm support in the
> kernel. there is no X on the box ...

the userspace solution is simply `setterm -blank 0'

if you dont want setterm, I wager it just uses an ioctl to set the
appropriate option.

if you want to disable it permanently, take a look around
drivers/char/console.c

there is a
static int blankinterval = 10*60*HZ;
setting that to 0 should do the job. you could take it further and rip
out some of the *blank* functions that you wont be needing, to make your
kernel smaller.

--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu