Re: Journal Filesystem Comparison on Netbench

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 05:50:03 EST

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:41:35PM +0200, Emmanuel Varagnat wrote:

> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > It does not really look like a locking problem. If you look at the profiling
> > logs it is pretty clear that the problem is the algorithm used in
> > bitmap.c:find_forward. find_forward and reiserfs_in_journal
> > journaled blocks set also, to quickly skip them for the common case.
>
> I'm very interested in the way you did profiling.
> Did you compile the kernel with profiling options (gprof ?) ?
> If so, where the profiling information file is saved ?

I did not do any profiling in this case; I just read an existing log.
If you want to do profiling yourself you could use the simple
builtin statistical profiler: boot with profile=2 on the command line
and read the log at anytime using the readprofile command.
Other ways are documented on the lse homepage http://lse.sourceforge.net

-Andi