via82cxxx_audio problem.

From: Nicholas Knight (tegeran@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 06:43:24 EST

Here's a new one for you:

This is under 2.4.8-ac9, other kernels have not been tested, but given
the nature of the problem, I don't think it's specific to the kernel
version.

When XMMS is pointed to /dev/dsp (as per normal on my system) things are,
a little odd...
The first symptom I noticed was that Mozilla started up *very* slowly...
it'd sit there starting for a while, then eventualy, after its starting
icon disapeared from my KDE taskbar, things would just sit quietly for a
minute or so, and then suddenly mozilla started.
This is infinitely reproducable on my system, and all I have to do to
"fix" the problem, is stop XMMS from playing, and Mozilla instantly goes
back to normal.
This doesn't appear to be an XMMS issue, as pointing it to /dev/null
(thus also causing it to play absurdly fast...) also "fixes" the problem.

I also noted hdparm -t giving me readings of 3 to 9MB/sec, this is on a
7200RPM ATA/100 drive from IBM mind you... IBM-DTLA-307045. UDMA is
enabled, it's on a Promise ATA/100 controller anyway so that's set by
default. This behavior ceased after I exited XMMS, and I returned to
normal 32MB+ numbers. This COULD be unrelated, but the timing is too
coincidental for it to seem likely. This is not currently reproducable,
will test further when I get some sleep.

Quake3 seems to exhibit similar behavior, but I do not have time at the
moment to test that more thuroughly, I really need some sleep. I cannot
test Quake2, as it freezes at sound initialization if XMMS (or anything
else) is actively using /dev/dsp (this isn't entirely unexpected, though
if it can't get control of the soundcard, it should normaly drop the
attempt).
Konqueror, KDE konsole, and KMail don't seem to exhibit this behavior
though, which is possibly attributable to either their far smaller size,
or possibly that parts of them remain in memory at all times as a result
of my running KDE in its entirety. X-Chat and LICQ also do not exhibit
this behavior, further leading me to suspect it has to do with the
general size of the process.

I have verified that this doesn't seem to be a problem with the kernel
taking buffers or cache out of memory when a process needs that memory by
starting up several large processes (Mozilla) to free RAM up manualy
before retrying the tests. Why use of /dev/dsp would have any effect
whatsoever on RAM allocation, I do not know, but with all the VM/memory
concerns in 2.4, I figured I should probably eliminate that as a problem.

I also have a whole 1448KB in swap right now... why the kernel swaps
instead of flushing the file cache from RAM, and why it leaves things in
swap when there's plenty of RAM free, is a puzzle I leave to the experts.

hardware information:

ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)
AMD Athlon 800Mhz
256MB PC100 RAM
Soyo K7VIA motherboard, VIA KX133 chipset

Any further information needed is avalible, just be prepared to tell me
what you need and how to aquire it, and expect to wait at least 12-14
hours so I can get some sleep.

If all of this is something stupid I missed/did, then you all have my
explicit permission to thwap me.